Sunday, December 29, 2013

(32) Left Behind and Common Courtesy

Ask any Korean how hard it is to speak English. It's not an easy language for them to learn.Many of the rules and mechanics of the language are confounding to them,only making sense after years of study and practice.

I can't help but feel sorry for them sometimes. Since English is a major business language, it means that pretty much any major job requires you have some form of mastery of English to go anywhere in life and succeed at your job.

However, I am under the firm belief that courtesy and consideration transcends any language barrier and allows us to display our humanity and show our compassion and understanding of each others needs. This, to me, is the beauty of the human race.

However, we can not always be receptive to each others needs and wants. Sometimes we are too focused, too intent on fulfilling our own agendas and needs to notice the other person in the room. Sometimes, our lives become so involving, we develop these life blinders. blocking out everything and keeping us focused on our goals with laser accuracy. We are, after all, only human.

I'm probably not the first person to experience this while working in Korea and just based on some of the stories I have heard, I'm sure some people have it much worse than I do. We all have our bad work days and work experiences. I usually let them roll of my shoulder and just go on with my life. I realize that people at work our focused so its a understandable when a lapse of judgement or lack of time to help others occurs.

Today was the last day of the 2013 school year before the winter break. It was a day to wrap up classes and finish up what we needed to do before the new year began. This however would be my last year working at the school as only a few months before I found out that I wouldn't be able to renew my contract at my school, as the Korean government had recently made new changes which would end up eliminating foreign teachers from high schools. It was a little upsetting that this would happen and during the last part of the school year, but, that is a story for another day.

Apparently, this morning was a breakfast to celebrate the last days of teaching and close the old year to begin the new one fresh. I don't know what the breakfast was like, what there was to eat, or even where it took place because unlike the other teacher's I wasn't invited.

To clarify, every single staff in the school was invited to attend. This includes teachers, secretaries, office staff, grounds keepers  even some parents who were at the school, except me. I was the only one left out.

Why? I have no idea. I've been invited to school meals and gatherings before. It was common assumption for teachers to tell one another about an event and ask them to come along. even if they didn't intend on sitting next to them or talking to them.

I'm not to complain and whine when I'm not invited to parties. I don't throw a fit when I'm not invited to group outings. It's ok. I'm an adult. the world doesn't revolve around and me and no one owes me anything. I get that. Adult stuff. It's cool.

However, when every single person in the school minus the students is invited and you're not, it makes you think. It makes you wonder. Why would this happen?

Was it something I did? Is my personality? Did they just forget? Am I difficult to talk to? No one said anything about and of these before, why the sudden change of tone at the end of the year? Stuff like this makes your mind wander, makes you think what could have possibly gone wrong, all over a stupid breakfast.

As I said in the beginning, I understand and respect the difficulty of learning English. I understand and respect the cultural differences and have given the strongest effort to represent the best of my culture as well as understanding and participating in Korean culture.

However, simply asking someone to come has nothing to do with culture. Taking five seconds out of your day to simply ask someone to come with you or go with you has nothing to do with culture, nor your quality as a teacher, or even a person. It's just common courtesy. I've been her long enough to know that it exists in Korea just we much as it does in the states.

I'm not going to sit here and complain about how life in Korea sucks and how life is unfair. I will say that I hope anyone who reads this remembers their manners and courtesy. It only takes a second of your time and in many cases, can make a huge difference in someone's day and in many cases, prove to them that there is humanity left in the world.

Be good to one another. Represent your culture, represent your society and represent yourself well. That is all.





No comments:

Post a Comment