Friday, January 10, 2014

(34) 2014 is the Year of Upgrades

I once heard that it's better to make a year of changes and improvements based on a yearly theme rather than set New Year's Resolutions that may or may not be doable. I've recently taken that advice to heart and have decided to make 2014, my 27th/28th year of birth and my third year in Korea a year of upgrades.

What this means is taking a look at my life, my goals and my current life situation and deciding to improve or upgrade the things in my life that will allow me to accomplish my short and long term goals. I am making this the year of upgrades with a strong desire to see all of my goals succeed but also keep in mind that they may lead to some spectacular failures, many of these things I am indeed thinking of or pursuing for the first time. 

That's the beauty of a "Year Of..." theme, it allows you to continually make changes and improvements without the limitation and disappointment of failing to meet resolutions. Every little victory leads to a better state of living, every little goal adds up to becoming a better person.

So, here is my list of things that need upgrades in my life. 

2014: The Year of Upgrades

1. My first goal is to improve the current employment situation I have in Korea. With my school ending my contract, I've spent time looking for different location and a different school to work at. As of now, if all goes according to plan, I could possibly have a better paying, better located job as soon as March this year.

2. In order to have an easier time getting jobs and participating in opportunities, I will also begin the process of obtaining an F4 Visa, which would allow me more freedoms (closer to a Korean citizen) than my current visa allows. Since I was technically born in Korea, it would be a shame to waste this unique opportunity and allow myself the closest thing to dual citizenship I most likely will be able to get

3. I need to improve my Korean language ability. I've been here long enough to have a basic understanding of the language and if I wish to live in a larger city and participate in more opportunities, a better grasp of the language is necessary. I am currently looking through language classes and deciding which one will be the best.

4. I need to have a solid workout routine again. I know myself and how difficult it is to motivate myself to workout, but I feel it is long overdue that I begin again. Despite lacking motivation, I need to be fit again. I want to feel like I did at my peak. 

5. If I do get a job in Seoul, this means having access to a larger expat scene and larger night scene where interesting stories and places lurk. I want to take advantage of this and enjoy these sights and places. As petty as it sounds, I want to experience some of those crazy "what happens in Seoul stays in Seoul" moments before I'm too old and crotchety to enjoy them any longer. 

6. I need to learn to relax this year. I often found myself stressing out over things beyond my control and often letting my negative emotions get the best of me and those around me. I need to learn/study/practice the art of taking it as it comes and letting things roll of your shoulder. I need to be less Donny and more like The Dude*  I need to realize what makes me tick and be more honest with myself and others when it comes to my limits. 

7. I need to get involved in more travel adventures. It can be somewhere in Korea, somewhere overseas or somewhere next door. I need to see more travel opportunities and be willing to leave my bubble in order to experience some adventures. By the time 2014 ends, I want to have gotten out of my comfort zone and have some travel stories to share.

8. I need to be involved with the writing scene and need to submit more articles and ideas. I'll be in the primary location of many foreign publications with much easier access to events. I need to get out of my writing slump and find more stories, get off my ass, knock on doors and write. I need to learn more about publishing and writing. I need to constantly be learning more about the ever changing field of journalism and its relation to media. I need to stay up to date with my peers and take advantage of that knowledge. 

9. If there are only two books I attempt to read this year (although I hope to read many), I want to attempt reading two books I have long put off: Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace and a comprehensive look at Korean history that's not "Korea's Place in the Sun". Reading more in general is always a good thing and I can easily think of several other books I want to read, but as of now, these two are the mains.

10. Finally, I want to gain more knowledge and appreciation with my hobbies and the things I enjoy. This means finding new music to enjoy, watching new films and hidden gems I might have missed and going through my massive backlog of games and classics from yesterday that I have yet to play. Having a rich, fulfilling and enriched enjoyment and understanding of your favorite pastimes is a reward in itself.

That's it. This year is a year of upgrades and changes I can honestly say I haven't been this excited by the future in a long time. Whether this ends up as a year for the history books or a year of crash and burn, I'm going at it full speed and seeing where it takes me. 

2014. This is MY year. 

*The Dude




No comments:

Post a Comment