Tuesday, February 4, 2014

(35) Another New Year and thanks to those who believed in me

This weekend was many different things to different people. In Korea, families were celebrating the new Lunar New Year and welcoming the year of the horse with hope and optimism for a new and insightful year. Back home, many of my friends and family were tuning in to watch the Super Bowl, something that I was not willing to wake up early for on a Monday to watch in Korea (but was more than willing to watch the movie previews and see the snarky tweets).

Along with this, many of my foreign friends have just returned to Korea from their trips overseas, returning back home to start their new school semesters again.

For many people this was a time of new starts and fresh slates, and I was also one of those people. After spending the last few months searching and worrying about my future in Korea, I can finally say that I have secured a new teaching job at an international academy in the city of Songdo.

Songdo, is a newer city located in Incheon and is known for being a clean and modern city designed to be welcoming to the international community visiting and living in Korea. Many of Incheon's elite and influential people live and work in Songdo, making it an interesting change from my little city of Gimcheon.

The school itself, separates itself from similar schools due to its ciriculum based more on creativity and artistic expression rather than normal textbook based lessons. Classes at this school include the normal English, math and science classes, but also includes several other classes not normally found at schools including ballet and horse back riding. Needless to say, English is where I will be applying my schools to these children as my horse back riding and ballet skills are not quite up to snuff.

Songdo has also recently gotten the attention of the media due to the announcement that Avengers 2 will be filming in the area. As a huge fan of Marvel and the recent cinematic universe, I take this as a sign from some benevolent deity that this was meant to be in some way and will allow me a possible peak at the filming of this movie or at the very least, bragging rights to tell people that Avengers 2 was filmed in my neighborhood. Maybe I'll see Scarlet Johansson on set/ Heck, I'd even settle for some random SHIELD agent.

I also begin my winter vacation today as I'll be spending the next few days in Tokyo, three of which will be spent with the company of my girlfriend, allowing me the opportunity to show her some of the places and things that made me fall in love with this city so many years ago.

The last time I was in Tokyo, I was still a student in university getting ready to go out into the world on my own. This was before the massive typhoon and Fukushima disaster that drastically changed the country. Now, as a slightly older and wiser adult, it will be interesting to see if the city I fell in love with still measures up.

All of the good things in my life right now, didn't come just through myself. I worked hard and searched for opportunities and chances to continue working in Korea, but finally landing the job came from dozens of people whose kindness, recommendations cooperation and understanding allowed me to be where I am now. I could not have done it without all of you and even now, I am thankful for all you have done.

So before I start a new chapter in my Korean life, I want to say thank you. To everyone. I don't know if I'll ever be able to return the favor but I will always try to be my best to you and myself. You efforts will not go to waste through me.

So thank you, all of you.





No comments:

Post a Comment